"Come let us build the ship of the future,
In an ancient pattern that journeys far..."

'Let the Circle Be Unbroken', The Incredible String Band







Monday 13 September 2010

"If others can see it as I have seen it, then it may be called a vision rather than a dream." William Morris

Day: 6
Mission: to turn psychedelic folk festival at the Cecil Sharp House, North London, into visual theatre experience with ritualistic elements.
Remaining days: 7





Cardboard elements for my lifesize toy theatre are now complete - today was the first day of embellishment and decoration. 19th Century dreamer, environmentalist and craft-revivalist William Morris has been with me in my little box studio all day, with his views on investing ordinary objects with craftsmanship, quality and beauty. Surrounded by his swirling, nature-inspired patterns I took my four panels, made from mosaic sections of cardboard boxes glued together, mixed a shade of olive paint, clasped my paintbrush and began. The crucial remaining requirements were patience, and the desire to beautify cardboard. As Morris was quoted, “If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

I love the fact that a monotone shade of paint and a drab substance used to transport the world's goods can come together to create a crafted object. I feel certain that, were Morris alive today, he would be out there helping me to source nice clean cardboard boxes on a weekday morning.

And speaking of crafted cardboard.....



....the owl totem in the reception of the Etsy offices in Brooklyn, New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment